Wednesday, March 23, 2011

More On Formed Cement



Readers may notice my fascination 
with formed and decorative cement work,
 particularly in Mexico where it has advanced to an art form.


These first three photos come from San Carlos, Sonora.


This fellow was redoing trim 
that had fallen to the ravages of salt and hurricanes.

I suspect the use of unwashed, alkaline sand might also play a role.

Above you may notice that he has added more cement
 to build out areas that he has already made one pass on.


And take a look at this finished side, ready for paint.

I assume a trowel was used to get that smooth of a finish.


In a bit of a different mode this fellow 
was using a jig to keep his bricks even.

Ultimately this house will be finished with a cement stucco
and you won't even see the brick.

The trim may be formed out such as the photos above
or kept in the angular brick pattern.


Another aspect of formed cement are these wash basins.

I am very interested in how these are made.

I guess they are formed in place, but I am not sure.


The supports are typically brick.

You may be able to notice that the base of the washboard was poured first
 and then the very top.

There is a faint line between the rougher bottom 
and the smoother washboard.


But how do they get the washboard?


These last two photos are from the post I did last year:
Fixer Upper In Alamos.


I am determined to build one some day.

For much more on formed cement click the "Cement"
 under "Labels" on the right sidebar.