Sunday, May 30, 2010

Cactus



Since I just did a post on container gardening I couldn't help doing one
 on one of my favorite topics and that is cactus.



These first two photos are from the Rio Grande Botanic Garden
 in Albuquerque, New Mexico.


These next three photos are from the collection
 we had before we sold our house in Santa Fe.


Black Spine Cactus


Our neighbor gave us a pad to start this cactus 
from Havasu Canyon in Arizona.


Truth or Consequences, New Mexico


 Above and below is Cholla.




For a review of eating cactus flowers click here.




Catalina State Park, Arizona


Ocotillo bloom against a saguaro in Arizona.


A living ocotillo fence at the Tucson Botanical Gardens.
 Click here to see my post from 4/22/10 on our visit here.


P.S. Since I first posted this I ran across a great article
on cactus in Desert Exposure, a very good monthly paper
 in southwest New Mexico. Click here to access the article.