Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Building Mexico




I have been very curious about building in Mexico and 
this winter I have been trying to learn more about the various facets.
 They rarely use wood because of termites and the cost of lumber.

(To see a rewriting of this post go to Building A Brick House In Mexico.)


Bricks and concrete are the materials of choice in many parts of
 the country,and post and beam is very common. What I find interesting
 is that the brick in fill comes first and the posts are formed up afterwards
 using the brick to hold the forms.


 I understood these fellows to say the house was to be for the guy mixing
and his father in the background was laying up brick.
 My first blog was about firing the brick.


The form boards are in place and the concrete has been poured.
Rebar is always used in the post and beams.


The posts are poured at about every three feet or so.


I really like the way they set in the window sill. 
These guys are doing nice work, and the house seemed large. 
At the right corner you can see the next section
 of post ready to pour. Next I will show a roof being added.